Bill Machin

Default Vicmarc VL200

Hi Sharon:

Before you jump, if you haven't already, a couple of thoughts:

You may want to get in touch with Craft Supplies to see if they would
sell you the same stand package with a variable speed AC motor. The
price differential that they show on the web site for the motors alone
in the 1 1/2 HP size is $400. I believe that you would see a
consensus in the group that, size for size, you will get better
performance from the AC version.

If CS is not willing to make the motor swap, you might consider buying
the bare lathe, building your own stand, and supplying your own motor.
Depending on where you buy the motor, you can probably come out ahead
or at least break even doing it this way. I guess that it just comes
down to time and money--like everyting else.

Bill

(Sharon Berman) wrote in message . com...
I've been looking at the VL200 and I'm curious about the 2 retailers
that sell them in the US. For the same money, one sells the 6 speed
that is "100% vicmarc" and the other sells the variable speed that is
on a different stand. I realize the latter company is probably
purchasing bare lathes and adding the stand, motor and drive. I guess
my question is, which is the better product or are they comparable?
Any pros or cons to either one? Anyone have any experience with the
not 100% Vicmarc lathe?
Thanks
Sharon