Sharon Berman

Default Vicmarc VL200

I've been looking at the VL200 and I'm curious about the 2 retailers
that sell them in the US. For the same money, one sells the 6 speed
that is "100% vicmarc" and the other sells the variable speed that is
on a different stand. I realize the latter company is probably
purchasing bare lathes and adding the stand, motor and drive. I guess
my question is, which is the better product or are they comparable?
Any pros or cons to either one? Anyone have any experience with the
not 100% Vicmarc lathe?
Thanks
Sharon
Charles Bjorgen

I will assume the "not 100% Vicmarc lathe" you refer to is the one sold
by Craft Supplies USA. I have the shortbed version of that lathe and
have been entirely satisfied with it. I made my purchase based on the
experience of another friend who bought that same lathe, but in the
longbed model. The stand is made up by/for Craft Supplies and is fine.
My very first test on my lathe was a badly unbalanced 14-inch bowl blank
that had not had its corners rounded off. There was no bouncing around
on my cement basement floor.

I did experience some harmonic vibration sounds from the stand that
would come and go depending on the turning speed. Some carefully wedged
in 2 x 4's across the stand's frame seemed to take care of that. I
certainly would vote for the variable speed model on this lathe. My
lathe came with a 1 1/2 hp Leeson DC motor and Minarik controller, a
very nice combo. You'll need a 220v circuit.

Shipping on my lathe from Provo to Minnesota was $220, not a minor
expense. You might need to factor in that cost when deciding where you buy.

Sharon Berman wrote:

I've been looking at the VL200 and I'm curious about the 2 retailers
that sell them in the US. For the same money, one sells the 6 speed
that is "100% vicmarc" and the other sells the variable speed that is
on a different stand. I realize the latter company is probably
purchasing bare lathes and adding the stand, motor and drive. I guess
my question is, which is the better product or are they comparable?
Any pros or cons to either one? Anyone have any experience with the
not 100% Vicmarc lathe?
Thanks
Sharon

Sharon Berman

Charles,
Yes that is the company I was refering to and you gave me the answer I
sort of expected, but wasn't sure if the difference really mattered. I
figured it best to ask the people who would know. The shipping for me
, Western NY, from Texas was quoted at around $400. I haven't heard
back yet from Craft USA as to what the shipping would be, but I'm
expecting about the same. So getting the variable for the same money
as the 6 speed is really a no brainer now. Thanks for the info, I
really appreciate it.
Sharon
Bill Machin

Hi Sharon:

Before you jump, if you haven't already, a couple of thoughts:

You may want to get in touch with Craft Supplies to see if they would
sell you the same stand package with a variable speed AC motor. The
price differential that they show on the web site for the motors alone
in the 1 1/2 HP size is $400. I believe that you would see a
consensus in the group that, size for size, you will get better
performance from the AC version.

If CS is not willing to make the motor swap, you might consider buying
the bare lathe, building your own stand, and supplying your own motor.
Depending on where you buy the motor, you can probably come out ahead
or at least break even doing it this way. I guess that it just comes
down to time and money--like everyting else.

Bill