Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Volvo gear changing

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
Sometimes (about every third time) there is considerable resistance on
the gear lever when I try to engage first. If I cautiously let the
clutch out there is eventually the sound of clashing gear wheels, then
the lever moves into gear easily. Does anyone know what the trouble is?

Try it before you start the engine. Does it go into first each time easily?
If so, it sounds like excessive clutch drag.
At one time you could tell if this was the case because it would crunch
into reverse. But so many boxes have synchromesh on reverse too these days.

--
He who laughs last, thinks slowest*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.