Posted to uk.d-i-y
harryagain[_2_] harryagain[_2_] is offline

Default Volvo gear changing

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Sometimes (about every third time) there is considerable resistance on the
gear lever when I try to engage first. If I cautiously let the clutch out
there is eventually the sound of clashing gear wheels, then the lever
moves into gear easily. Does anyone know what the trouble is?

Bill

Look for easy things first.
If it is a hydraulic clutch.
Check fluid level in clutch reservoir. If very low may need filling &
bleeding.
It might be the seal in the clutch master cylinder is leaking a bit (ie back
into the master cylinder). Or some crap in the fluid.
Clutch is not disengaging properly so preventing you from getting it into
gear.

If it is a cable operated clutch, may need adjustment/replacement.