Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Joining mains cable

On 20/04/14 12:02, RJH wrote:
I have to extend the cable feeding 13A sockets. Is this:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Cable_crimping

'maintenance free'? Or should I use a junction box. The cable will be
underneath floorboards, routed properly.

And apologies - I'm sure I've seen this raised before - but I can't find
the question or remember the answer.

If the floorboards are liftable, you could arguably use a regular
junction box. However, bearing in mind that people lay carpets and
laminate over the top, I'd use one of these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ803.html

Maintenance free, cable clamps and fixing of the box by screws to the
joist - everything you need in one box at a dirt cheap price. I have
used these BTW and they are good.