Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Joining mains cable

I have to extend the cable feeding 13A sockets. Is this:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Cable_crimping

'maintenance free'? Or should I use a junction box. The cable will be
underneath floorboards, routed properly.

And apologies - I'm sure I've seen this raised before - but I can't find
the question or remember the answer.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/14 12:02, RJH wrote:
I have to extend the cable feeding 13A sockets. Is this:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Cable_crimping

'maintenance free'? Or should I use a junction box. The cable will be
underneath floorboards, routed properly.

And apologies - I'm sure I've seen this raised before - but I can't find
the question or remember the answer.

If the floorboards are liftable, you could arguably use a regular
junction box. However, bearing in mind that people lay carpets and
laminate over the top, I'd use one of these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ803.html

Maintenance free, cable clamps and fixing of the box by screws to the
joist - everything you need in one box at a dirt cheap price. I have
used these BTW and they are good.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2014 12:31, Tim Watts wrote:
On 20/04/14 12:02, RJH wrote:
I have to extend the cable feeding 13A sockets. Is this:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Cable_crimping

'maintenance free'? Or should I use a junction box. The cable will be
underneath floorboards, routed properly.

And apologies - I'm sure I've seen this raised before - but I can't find
the question or remember the answer.

If the floorboards are liftable, you could arguably use a regular
junction box. However, bearing in mind that people lay carpets and
laminate over the top, I'd use one of these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ803.html

Maintenance free, cable clamps and fixing of the box by screws to the
joist - everything you need in one box at a dirt cheap price. I have
used these BTW and they are good.

+1

Crimping is also fine - and maintenance free - but these boxes are a lot
less effort.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/14 12:02, RJH wrote:
[...]

Wago terminals in a wago box are also ok... (and quite nice for PITA
places to work in since like crimps you can make each wire connection
individually and then stuff em in the box)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/14 12:02, RJH wrote:
[...]

Many thanks all - I'll be getting some of the boxes Tim mentioned.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to RJH, Mike hunt wrote:
Got any gleenogs?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...le-968161-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike hunt wrote:
replying to RJH, Mike hunt wrote:
Got any gleenogs?

?????
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Zarabanda my friend!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I would check the details of that junction box, 32A may be the headline figure when used in a standard setting it might be reduced in maintenance free mode. I have used Wagos extensively recently they too are rated at 32A but the leaflet provided points out that used in maintenance free mode their rating should be derated to 20A and quotes some BS number as the standard for compliance which I suspect applies across the board to all such connectors.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Oops! Just realised I replied to a 2014 post. Ce la vie.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 29 July 2020 10:17:04 UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I would check the details of that junction box, 32A may be the headline
figure when used in a standard setting it might be reduced in maintenance
free mode. I have used Wagos extensively recently they too are rated at 32A
but the leaflet provided points out that used in maintenance free mode their
rating should be derated to 20A and quotes some BS number as the standard for
compliance which I suspect applies across the board to all such connectors.

The 773-173 connectors are good for 32A in maintenance free mode (they do appear to be the notable exception to the general rule though).

https://www.wago.com/gb/installation...oxes/p/773-173
https://www.wago.com/gb/download/pub...t_51009131.pdf

Mathew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mathew Newton wrote:

The 773-173 connectors are good for 32A in maintenance free mode

I suppose over here were pretty unlikely to use aluminium cables, but
I'd never heard of their "Alu-Plus" contact paste
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Mathew Newton wrote:

The 773-173 connectors are good for 32A in maintenance free mode

I suppose over here were pretty unlikely to use aluminium cables, but
I'd never heard of their "Alu-Plus" contact paste

At one point aluminium cables were used because copper got rather
expensive. then 15th, 16th & 17th editions of the wiring regs have tables
labelled "Aluminium Conductors". Not in the current (18th) edition

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Widget for joining 3-core mains flex Coleman UK diy 35 July 29th 07 07:39 AM
Broadband Cable & Mains Power Cable [email protected] UK diy 19 June 19th 07 10:20 AM
Joining mains cable with crimps Lobster UK diy 4 December 20th 06 11:33 PM
Joining armoured cable wmt UK diy 3 May 2nd 05 06:08 PM
Joining mains cables Timothy Murphy UK diy 6 May 1st 05 12:12 PM