Andy Hall

Default Shower pump, whole bathroom?

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 15:43:39 GMT, (Simon
Avery) wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

Hello Andy

Refitting bathroom soonish, in early planning stages now.

AH| Given the situation, I would look at a chunky Stuart Turner
AH| like a Monsoon 3 bar twin and run a 22mm cold service from
AH| the CW tank to it.

k, That's two votes for that one then. I didn't know about the twin. I
don't think I need the CW pumped though.

If you are going to run both (in effect) from the CW tank since it
supplies the HW cylinder, then a twin pump is really the right way to
do it because the flows will be better balanced. If the cold is
derived from the mains, it could be all over the place. OK, the
thermostatic valve will help with maintaining the temperature, but the
overall flow will vary. Having the whole thing separated from the
mains, pumping both, will give a good and balanced result.

AH| Is the shower going over the bath? If so, you could get an

No, different. Wifey likes showers, I like baths - so I get a nice
deep bath that's long enough so my knees don't get cold but only if
she gets a nice shower...

I think that you could reasonably connect both the shower and the bath
to the pump so that you will the bath more quickly. It didn't seem
worth running up the pump for the basin.

There's only one place a shower can realistically go, and that's in a
recess which is exactly 1200mm wide by 900mm deep. (Existing block
walls) Somewhat relieved to learn that stock trays of exactly that
size are available.

That's a bit of luck. They are normally 1cm too large for the space.

AH| I wouldn't bother including the basin in the equation.

Nah, that's a non-luxury feature. Shower and bath are more important.

AH| If possible, try to mount the pump low - e.g. floor of
AH| airing cupboard, although it's generally not super critical.

Can do, there's a nice section of run in the underfloor void that's
perfect, or will be when I get power to it.

I'd be a little careful with that. The void under a floor can get
pretty cold so that one should consider insulation to avoid heatloss
and potential freezing. OTOH, the motor of the pump will generate
heat in operation and that needs to be allowed to escape.

AH| If you can put in a Surrey flange to the top of the HW
AH| cylinder, it's a good plan, then the bathroom will be
AH| completely independent of anything happening in the rest of
AH| the house.

Hmm, googling...

There's a variety here.

http://www.andyplumb.co.uk/asp/catal....asp?catval=19

Essex flanges are said to be a bit better because the fitting is
totally separate. However, they need more courage to fit to the
cylinder.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl