Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default How much ROM does a "typical" Android user need for APP STORAGE?

On Friday, April 18, 2014 7:43:57 PM UTC-4, Danny D. wrote:
On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 22:16:21 -0700, Danny D. wrote:

Here's a much more detailed summary, of a "typical" user setup:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2866/1...05818cf3_h.jpg

FINAL UPDATE:

The 12GB Nexus 5 phone has been given to the gift recipient:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2908/...d7300024_b.jpg

The suggested set of "typical" apps used about 2GB, in toto:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7269/...8cbce7b3_b.jpg

This included the suggested social-networking sites that I,

myself, would never consider, & it included the suggested games:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3684/...9b798401_b.jpg

Note that I didn't have access to any user content, so there

is as yet, no SIM card, nor any accounts which would need to be

logged into, so, the memory requirement can only grow from there.

Given this "typical" setup, it looks like we now know that the

bare minimum need for a decent Android phone to store apps in

primary memory seems to be roughly about 6G, comprising about

4GB for the pre-installed apps, plus a bare minimum of at least

2GB for a reasonably well vetted set of the suggested basic apps.

The fact that I have an entry level Android sitting right here
that has about a dozen apps I loaded on it that took just 100 - 200MB
says your full of pure BS. And that entry level phone still has
1.12GB of free memory. You took what was a reasonable beef
and have just gone totally off the rails with it.

While, for complicated business reasons, the SD cards have proven

themselves useless for primary app storage, the SD card should

be "mostly" available for secondary storage of user content

(of which this phone had none).

Thanks for all your help and advice!

NOTE: The list of "typical" apps and their sizes has already

been posted to a separate thread, so it isn't repeated here.

If your 2GB app load was typical for entry level Android phone users,
the phone stores would all be full of ****ed off customers, with
"unusable" phones. The fact that they aren't says your grossly
exagerrating and that you have unreasonable expectations from a $100 entry
level phone.