Simon Avery

Default Shower pump, whole bathroom?

Grunff wrote:

Hello Grunff

I need a shower pump for the shower, otherwise it just
won't work - the showerhead being higher than the HW tank
(although CW feeder above HW tank is a couple of feet
higher, so may get a dribble - but not enough to have a
decent shower).

G| Something to bear in mind. The pump has flow switches to
G| detect flow and switch on. In order to get enough water
G| through these to tuen on the pump you will need some head. I
G| think mine recommended a minimum head of 40cm.

Ah - I hadn't considered that, good warning! Not a problem though -
the HW tank is ~80cms above the floor and the pipe run is ~30cms below
that, so I think I'll fit the pump down there.

Question: Can I just put the shower pump on the incoming
22mm HW feed to the entire bathroom, or is that a bad idea
to have it triggering for washbasin and bath and it should
just go on the Shower feed?

G| I was tempted to do this, because we're on a private supply
G| and our 'mains' is only about 1bar. But I decided against it
G| because of the noise - pumps aren't quiet, and while I'm
G| happy to live with the noise while showeing, I wouldn't want
G| it on every time I open a tap.

Another very good point and one I hadn't considered. Flow with current
arrangement to bath is adequate, so I'm inclined not to bother then -
just pump the shower section.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/