Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT computers

On Sun, 13 Apr 2014 19:26:49 -0700 (PDT), gwandsh
wrote:

On Sunday, March 30, 2014 2:41:56 PM UTC-7, Jerry wrote:
My machine is old, 12 yrs to be exact. I do believe my hard drive is

dying. Wouldn't mind keeping my monitor, but would like to increase memory,

speed, etc. And, specifically would like all my information put on the new

system. I really like Outlook Express, but have heard it is not available

anymore.

In other words, I need some words of wisdom regarding what information I

should be looking for. And what should I steer clear of?

As you can tell I really lack computer knowledge.

thanks

I work adjacent to the Helpdesk in a corporation of 1500+ people, all with at least one computer. I am also a developer, so see some of the performance differences.
My personal preference would be a laptop with Windows 7. Relatively straightforward OS with lots of support. Google is your friend for any OS questions.
For the hardware, I am on my second Lenovo (previously IBM). For build quality and components, they currently exceed anything close to their price range. I bought my first personal one when my work laptop (Lenovo) went over the bars in my backback during a cycling crash. My backpack was torn up, the laptop fired up without issues. My current superpowered work Dell would not have survived.
I am typing this on a Lenovo T420, bought used, for $400, with OS. Not a complaint anywhere.
Cheers

+1 on the Lenovo ThinkPad