Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT computers

On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 23:09:02 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

| All of that kind of thing could be broadly regarded as crapware.
| It's not necessarily all bad software, but it's all stuff you don't
| need and definitely shouldn't pay for.
|

| What do you use? Just for my info. I won't criticize, just learn.

What do I use for....cleaning? I don't. I don't
use any cleaners, AV, or "malware hunters". As I was
explaining above, I view Registry cleaners and general
system cleaners as more or less scam software. There
are things that can improve speed, which I listed in an
earlier post, but "cleaning" the Registry isn't one of them.

In terms of security, I'm careful of what I do online
and rarely enable script. I also don't install anything
from Adobe (Reader or Flash) and don't have Java
installed. So I guess you could say I use caution.

On XP I use the last free version of Onlne Armor
as a firewall. On Win7 I think I'm using Private Firewall.
I'm very concerned with both privacy and security.
I don't allow anything to go out that I'm not instigating,
which includes updaters. I don't allow any software to
self-update. That seems like a reckless and unstable
approach to me, and it's allowed software companies
to have their products in a constant state of semi-beta.

I don't think that no one should use AV. I think I already
explained my view on that kind of thing. For people who
are not going to deal with security issues, AV is probably
the next best thing, even though it drags on the system.

In terms of cleaning, I empty all TEMP folders
occasionally; I reinstall a clean disk image once
every year or two. (I keep an image with all the basic
software installed and configuration done.) I don't
install much that I don't really need and avoid bloatware
of any kind. I also avoid any additive programs, like
browser toolbars added by free software, useless crap
that's set to run by printer installers, ISPs, etc. I have
two programs set to run at startup: the firewall and a
mouse program. Most people have a dozen or more startup
programs running. I also keep the running services down to
a bare minimum.

You are not a "typical" user.
And not as safe as you think. For Microsoft downloads, I always have
the computer set to download and notify - so I can determine what is
updated and when - but I ALWAYS apply the critical updates. I always
advisw my customers to do the same. To not install the security
patches supplied by microsoft is foolhardy.

To not use an antivirus of some sort is also foolhardy. Industrial
strength security is not required - and as far as firewalls, If you
are using a NAT router the average user does not need a firewall - and
software firewalls can severely affect performance (as well as
functionality if not setup just right).
Re-imaging a computer every year is a pain in the derrierre, and most
"customers" will not have a clean image available - which
neccessitates cleaning the system. Using the "disk cleanup" utility in
windows cleans up everything you mention - but does NOT restore system
speed on a computer that is used heavilly and has programs added,
deleted, upgraded or otherwise addressed. Microsoft's defrag program
is also pretty sketchy, but at least they provide it again (was not
there on NT)

There are two tools I use quite extensively. One only on my own
machines because I won't licence it on customer's machines - and one I
have a technician copy of - a product from Registry-Cleaner.net.

It alone solves MOST slow computer complaints that I run across. I
use the iobit product on my own machines - both the host and
virtuals. Their defrag tool is far superior to windows Defrag. Their
registry cleaner is about on a par with the R-C product but mabee a
bit faster. You need to know what you are doing with their product or
you can get yourself into trouble in a hurry.

Either one restores my system to full performance when it slows down -
and I have NEVER had to restore or re-install the OS on any of my
computers since before the days of Windows 98 SE. I can count on one
hand how many customer's machines have required a re-install to
address performance issues, and between only 2 customers I have over
80 systems I maintain on a regular basis. Just under half have been
converted to Win7 from XP.

Both customers have Guardware firewall devices with AV and spam
protection built in, and one also uses App-River mail filtering.