Posted to rec.woodworking
pentapus pentapus is offline

Default SWITCH

On 4/11/2014 8:57 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
I have a Sears 10 inch table saw with 1hp motor that was purchased in
1970. The motor is a capacitor start type motor 115 volts 60 cycles
3450 RPM. The motor uses 20 amps. A 15 amp circuit will not run the
motor. I assume the starting circuit requires the 20 amps, and the run
condition is 15 amps.

The saw came with a two outlet switch that the motor plugged into.

The saw is used for cross cutting of 1 X 2 or 1 X 4 pine or fir. It
never runs for more the 10 minutes at a time. (pictures stretchers and
frames )

Now my question. The switch itself died to night, I have a project that
I on which I am running out of time, I plan to try to find a
replacement switch tomorrow.

That failing can I can I use a common 6 outlet power strip as a switch
on this motor?

Two things...

1)

An inductive load has a turn on/ turn off voltage spike. That will be
harsh on the relatively wimpy switches they put in switched outlets.

2)

If it is a 20A only saw, the plug will have one of the pins horizontal,
rather than vertical and won't fit.

So...

I think they have covers for handy boxes that will fit a switch and an
outlet. Buy a good light switch and use one of those.

Perhaps:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-2...-2WS/202035005

If I can are there any limitations or problems that I should be aware of.

--
pentapus