Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default OT computers

On 4/12/2014 5:01 PM, TomR wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:
TomR wrote:
Bob_Villa wrote:
Tom...now you're starting to repeat yourself! Try not to
ramble...*L*

True. I did decide to repeat myself here. Seemed like a good idea
at the time!

I noticed in one of your posts that you installed Windows 7 on a Dell
computer. I thought of doing that, and it is still a possibility,
but my two computers are Dell Dimension 3000 and are probably too
old and too limited in resources to be a good choice for installing
Windows 7.

Hi,
You can run compatibility test to see the result. I replaced mother
board and salvaged what I could, added SATA
drives, BD drive, then I could load W7 or W8 and Linux Ubuntu in multi
boot set up. It has 3 optical drives, about 15 TB disk storage(some
are old SCSI 750GB drives I picked up at recycle depot for 10.00 a
piece) Still older Intel LGA775 Quad cpu with 8 GB of memory. Even
has FDD, LOL!
But mostly I use newer ASUS ROG laptop with 17" display. When I
travel I still carry an old Thinkpad TP61P which has upgraded dual
band WiFi card. It is all matter of spending least amount of $$....

Thanks Tony. I'll do the compatibility test and see what happens.

But, I wouldn't be up to the task of changing mother boards, adding parts,
etc., so that wouldn't be an option for me.

That test is a joke.

An old ('07) desktop of mine that is now sitting in a closet (the
motherboard died) exceeded the minimum requirements for Win7 but it ran
a lot faster with XP on it.

I had to make a lot of tweaks in order to get Win7 running somewhat
smoothly.