Bill Rubenstein

Default Color: whether you want to or not the color wheel spins...)

Dan:

Your research is a pretty good demonstration of why one must take with a
grain of salt just about any 'facts' from the internet.

The numbers for Lignum and Cocobolo are from samples. There can be
significant differences in the real world.

There is no such thing as ironwood -- not really. Every part of the
world has something which they call ironwood and they are all different
species. So, for ironwood to have any meaning at all, you need to know
who is calling the wood that and where they are. Then you might be able
to make a good guess.

Use of non-scientific names for species is a real problem. In Guatemala
the locals use the name Granadillo for the wood we call cocobolo. In
parts of Africa Granadillo is what we call African Blackwood (a
Dalbergia -- a rosewood, as is Cocobolo).

That said, most of the cocobolo I've ever tested, when dry, still will
not float.

There are thousands of known species and probably plenty that we don't
know. To say something is the most dense or the second most dense is
just asking for trouble.

BTW, do a little research on Snakewood -- the one from Guiana and
Surinam. The references indicate that it is less dense than lignum and
cocobolo but every sample I've ever messed with measured in the 1.4
range green. And, there isn't much moisture in them so dry they
shouldn't be much less.

Bill

In article f4Q6b.384899$Ho3.58215@sccrnsc03,
says...
LOL! I'm surprised someone didn't Google this question instead of guess.
Ain't this the information age!? Cocobolo is the second most dense hardwood
in the world. Anything denser that water (specific gravity of 1.00 by
definition) will not float:

Lignum Vitae 1.05
Cocobolo 1.10
Ironwood 1.30

"Bob Pritchard" wrote in message
I could be way off but I think the only wood with a density high enough to

sink
is lignum vitae.

Does cocobolo even float? Ever see a hunk of cocobolo log? It's like
cement! AAMOF, they should call it cementwood. My wood guy has a
bunch of sections, I'll have to try and see if it floats.

Bob, Naugatuck Ct.
http://www.outofcontrol-woodturning.com