Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default Another project completed and set up

Bill wrote:

IIRC some of the chords require a thumb to wrap around and press the
string/strings.
To many, using the thumb that way is considered poor technique. So,
it's absolutely not required.
Strings on an electric guitar are probably easiest to push down.
Classical guitar strings may require
less force to hold them down, I'm not sure; I know they are strung
under
much less tension.

Ummm how do you tune the guitar correctly if under less tension? Do
you actually play a guitar?

Classical guitars have nylon strings, thus lower tension. In fact, if
you put steel strings on a classical, you'll probably break it (so I
hear), because they are not made for the same amount of tension. Yes,
I can play a guitar. I'm an amateur. Not a pro, like Swingman. I
think the invention of the Internet took away alot of the time I used
to spend at guitar. There are alot of different guitar playing
styles. If you could be content learning chords for some folk or
country songs it wouldn't take too long. I'm sure you can get all of
the advise you need here if you ask. The first thing you would need
to decide is where the "time" is going to come from. I think it's
generally accepted that 1/2 hour per day will work, but it takes me
half that long just to get "warmed up".

This one sounds just like me! ; )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1_Do_fc

I remember walking down the street playing it A cappella

At least I did with my Uke.

I did try the guitar when I was a teenager, the strings on a guitar
are much stiffer than a Uke.