Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default Another project completed and set up

IIRC some of the chords require a thumb to wrap around and press the
string/strings.

To many, using the thumb that way is considered poor technique. So,
it's absolutely not required.
Strings on an electric guitar are probably easiest to push down.
Classical guitar strings may require
less force to hold them down, I'm not sure; I know they are strung under
much less tension.

Ummm how do you tune the guitar correctly if under less tension? Do
you actually play a guitar?

Classical guitars have nylon strings, thus lower tension. In fact, if
you put steel strings on a classical, you'll probably break it (so I
hear), because they are not made for the same amount of tension. Yes, I
can play a guitar. I'm an amateur. Not a pro, like Swingman. I think
the invention of the Internet took away alot of the time I used to spend
at guitar. There are alot of different guitar playing styles. If you
could be content learning chords for some folk or country songs it
wouldn't take too long. I'm sure you can get all of the advise you
need here if you ask. The first thing you would need to decide is where
the "time" is going to come from. I think it's generally accepted that
1/2 hour per day will work, but it takes me half that long just to get
"warmed up".

"Angie.. Angie.. when will those clouds all disappear?
Angie, Angie, where will it lead us from here?
With no loving in our souls and no money in our coats
You can't say we're satisfied
But Angie, Angie, you can't say we never tried..

....867-5309... Jenny Jenny, who can I turn to?
(I learned my "barre chords" on that one... : ) )

Bill

At least I did with my Uke.

I did try the guitar when I was a teenager, the strings on a guitar
are much stiffer than a Uke.