Andy Hall

Default Shower pump, whole bathroom?

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 12:11:23 GMT, (Simon
Avery) wrote:

Hello All

Refitting bathroom soonish, in early planning stages now.

Entire hot water to bathroom supplied from ground floor (it's a
bungalow) indirect HW tank via 22mm copper. I want a thermostatic
shower with a decent flow, a bath that doesn't take a week to fill and
a WC & Washbasin.

I need a shower pump for the shower, otherwise it just won't work -
the showerhead being higher than the HW tank (although CW feeder above
HW tank is a couple of feet higher, so may get a dribble - but not
enough to have a decent shower).

Question: Can I just put the shower pump on the incoming 22mm HW feed
to the entire bathroom, or is that a bad idea to have it triggering
for washbasin and bath and it should just go on the Shower feed?

BTW - CW - unsure if going to put mains or use a feed off the CW tank
in loft. Mains pressure ain't great, so prolly better to run a 22mm
down and avoid washing-machine induced scalds? It's on mains atm, but
I'm worried that a thermostatic shower will need more CW flow than it
can supply. (Weedy 15mm mains, so not only crap pressure, crap flow
also)

Am I right in thinking that as it's unlikely more than one thing is
going to be using CW at any 1 time in the bathroom then a single feed,
with bits taken off it when needed won't have a big impact on flow, or
do lots of joints and corners seriously slow things up?

Recommendations for a reliable and reasonably powerful shower pump?
(Not done one before)

Given the situation, I would look at a chunky Stuart Turner like a
Monsoon 3 bar twin and run a 22mm cold service from the CW tank to it.

Is the shower going over the bath? If so, you could get an all
singing all dancing thermostatic mixer to do both. If they are
separate, then a thermostatic mixer for each or a thermostatic mixer
for shower and simple mixer for bath. You could even have separate
bath taps for that matter.

I wouldn't bother including the basin in the equation.

If possible, try to mount the pump low - e.g. floor of airing
cupboard, although it's generally not super critical.

If you can put in a Surrey flange to the top of the HW cylinder, it's
a good plan, then the bathroom will be completely independent of
anything happening in the rest of the house.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl