Ruth

Default Color: whether you want to know about it or not. (really long)

Arch wrote: "I tried to post a light-hearted elementary primer about
color as I have tried to do previously about three phase electric power,
cutting angles, musings of a COC etc." .....snip......
******************************
And you did exactly that, Arch. No matter how something is written,
everyone reads the words as their own mind "hears" them. I thought you
did just fine and nothing indicated to me that you were being critical;
just your usual 'musing self! : )

To Ray I'd like to just say that it's a "fad". Just like in all the
arts (clothing, home products, etc), the collectors, gallery owners and
general public keep looking for "something new". I love most of the
dyed, burned and/or carved work; some is over done for my taste. I
like the work where you can see the grain and still know it's wood; some
make me ask "why waste the wood, take a piece of pottery and paint it"!

There is a great many people who want to buy pure wood (no enhancements)
and equal number of people who want "something new". I think gallerys
have to keep offering new or their clientele will go somewhere else
searching for the new piece.

The paint-it trend doesn't seem to affect the interest in fine pieces
that are pure wood; they still make all of us go "oohh"!
Check out Wally Dickerman's work for example; absolutely beautiful and
not a drop of paint!

Well, back to the shop to turn some naked bowls! : )

Ruth

Woodturners Logo
My shop and Turnings at
http://www.torne-lignum.com