Andi Wolfe

Default Color: whether you want to know about it or not. (really long)

Hey, Arch -

I didn't take offense to your primer. I do think it's interesting to
see how color is being used now in woodturning. When used
effectively, coloring the wood can highlight a beautiful grain rather
than detract from it. For example, figured maple is an excellent wood
that takes color well, and color can showcase some of the subtle grain
patterns that might otherwise be missed in the natural wood.

As with any surface enhancement technique in woodturning, the use of
color needs to be part of the entire composition of a piece. If a
woodturning is ugly prior to the application of color, it will still
be ugly after the color is added (and maybe more obviously so).

Understanding how colors work together or against each other is an
important tool, also. There are many different resource books in the
art section of every bookstore or library that spell out what color
combinations work well together. Observers of nature may have already
internalized this information, but others may need a little help. For
those of you that would prefer to not waste your time reading about
color theory, take a close look at plants, insects, reptiles, geology,
etc. What pleases your eye from nature will work well in wood art.

And, Arch - I'm glad to know you admire my woodturnings . . .

Andi
http://www.AndiWolfe.com

(Arch) wrote in message ...
I tried to post a light-hearted elementary primer about color as I have
tried to do previously about three phase electric power, cutting angles,
musings of a COC etc. Too often what I think and what I write are not
the same. Andi is gracious and forgiving, but I want to make it clear
that I admire her talent for beautiful art even more than her expert
turning ability. That goes for all the many others of you who make
lovely colored wood art. Arch

Fortiter,