Posted to comp.mobile.android,misc.legal,alt.home.repair
Danny D.[_10_] Danny D.[_10_] is offline

Default How to complain to the FTC and/or FCC about deceptiveadvertising

On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 11:53:30 +0200, Poutnik wrote:

I suppose so. Maybe root cause of his confusion is
the false thought the Android OS is stored
in dedicated firmware flash storage, something like BIOS in PC,
what is not true.

Actually, the fundamental root cause of my "problem", is that I
had (innocently) "thought" that we could MOVE (or delete)
pre-installed apps to the 32GB SD card, which, if true (as it
was in prior versions of Android), would make the 4GB ROM less
limiting.

In fact, the carrier (T-Mobile) advertised that the 4GB phone
could be augmented with a 32GB microSD card, but, only *after*
I added the 32GB class 10 card did I realize that was a lie.

Google, apparently, prohibits moving of apps to the flash card,
so, the flash card is only useful for "user content" of which
there is none (simply because the phone is useless and therefore
has never been put in service).

NOTE: The story is complicated, because prior to Android 4.0,
Google allowed moving of apps; between 4.0 and 4.3 Google
disallowed moving of apps; and after 4.3, Google allowed
moving of apps if the developer enables it.
account).

The other fundamental root cause of the "problem" is that there
is absolutely no way for a consumer to know that the 4GB phone
has only 600MB of usable space for apps.

Since the user can't easily know these two fundamental
pieces of data, and since the carrier clearly knows them,
I feel the carrier should tell us this information when
we ask. They don't (and I have proof via many calls to
T-Mobile over this topic, all of which are documented).

In the end, I filed *both* an FTC and FCC complaint.
I do realize that nothing will come of either one, unless
others file their own complaints (safety in numbers).