Arch

Default Musings on Tool Sets (Apologies to Arch) {long retort}

Hi George, just as I was about to nominate you for COC younger division,
you have to go and spoil your chances by an apology. "Musing" is in the
public domain, otherwise your subject would be actionable. Worst of all,
I agree with most of what you write but of course, not all.

When you get another cheap diamond scraper, lengthen the bevels and
lessen the cutting angles. That will get you into places you didn't
think possible or maybe shouldn't go.

I agree about the separation of bowl and spindle, but there is a third
set: the group that we collect because they are very cheap or very
expensive or their virtues are extolled to the nines. Most have never
known a grinder and certainly not a lathe. This set is strictly for
discussing, caressing and passing back & forth from hand to hand just
before dozing off while watching a woodturning tape rerun. Safety
caution: be sure to wear shoes.

I got carried away once and bought a gouge that cost more than my first
car. I expected the wonder to turn me into an expert, so I introduced it
to my lathe and sat down to watch. It must have felt itself superior to
my lathe. Damn thing wouldn't turn anything by itself. I over reacted
and on the rebound bought a set of eight H.F. tools for eight dollars
and thirty seven cents plus shipping and handling. I tell inquiring
minds that they are for use on the pole lathe that I plan to build some
day. Never mind about my bargain sandpaper. The sand on Far Eastern
beaches must be softer than on ours. Their HSS steel is very circumspect
though: stays well below the speed limit.

I agree that there is no conspiracy to get rid of unsold tools. They are
included as blanks for reshaping purposes, and are probably a better
bargain than steel bar.

OK, I'll dissemble from COC and am embarrassed to admit that I really
liked your "I have never mastered a tool I didn't own" That says a lot.
So much for musing. Arch

Fortiter,