Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_17_] Frank[_17_] is offline

Default Gluing slippery plastic

On 4/5/2014 6:44 PM, Diamondfitz wrote:
replying to Charlie Bress, Diamondfitz wrote:
cbress wrote:

I have one of those plastic "noodles" that are used for beach or pool
floats.
I want to glue the ends together to make a hoop. I don't know what
kind of plastic foam it is made of, but it is one of the closed cell
slippery plastic foams. I have not been successful finding an
adhesive that works.

expect that joining the ends will require a fusing or welding operation.
I have at my disposal a small soldering iron, a large soldering iron,
a simple glue gun and a heat gun.
What has been the experience in using the available tools to secure
the ends?
Or do you have a better idea?
The only glue I tried was a contact cement that seemed to stick, but
under the tension of the hoop trying to open just stretched apart.
Charlie

duct tape!

I'd try my hot melt glue gun.
Otherwise polyethylene is difficult or practically impossible to glue.
Fusion might work but it is foam and would shrivel.