Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair
Paul Miner Paul Miner is offline

Default Would you file an FTC or FCC complaint for Android T-Mobile ROM lies?

On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 09:24:32 -0400, TJ wrote:

Be aware that you aren't just taking on T-Mobile with this complaint.
You are taking on the entire computer industry. And the computer
industry has been doing this for a very long time. One of my first
computers, back in the mid-80's, was an Atari 800XL. It was advertised
as having 64K of RAM. It did, but only 48K was usable without special
manipulation which most users didn't know how to do. After a while, I
bought an aftermarket kit that boosted the RAM to 256K. I KNOW it had
256K, as I installed the chips myself. Even so, the new memory was only
available in 16K blocks and one at a time, through the same manipulation
used to access any more than the basic 48K.

Was it fraud to say I had a 256K computer when only 48K was easily
available? I didn't think so, because the full 256K was *usable*. It
just wasn't easy.

Another example from that era: Commodore 64, 64KB of memory, but when you
turn it on, it says "Commodore 64 Basic V2 38911 Basic Bytes Free". As
above, you could get to some of the additional memory through paging, but
I'm sure it was beyond most people at the time.

--
Paul Miner