Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D.[_10_] Danny D.[_10_] is offline

Default What am I doing so wrong in this kitchen sink strainer removalprocess?

On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 01:10:32 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

What am I doing wrong?

Lessons learned:

0. Some repair people will *glue* a kitchen basket strainer on, and,
if they do, you will have to destroy it in order to remove it.

1. The reason *my* strainer ring was impossible to remove without
destroying it was that it was glued on (see above).

2. When buying a repair kit, don't assume all the parts are provided.
Specifically, buy an extra beveled washer!

3. Pay attention to the width of the lip of the replacement kitchen
strainer; it needs to be equal to or larger in width to the original.

4. Use plumbers putty (instead of glue) to waterproof the kitchen
strainer basket; putting an oil on top of the opened container of
plumber's putty should help preserve it for future use.

5. If at all possible, get a new sister if she continues to
complain about how long it takes you to do the job!