Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Locking wheel nut key lost

On 02/04/14 11:57, Mike Barnes wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
I've found that tyre fitters seem to totally ignore torque settings
which for a Land Rover with alloys is a lot less than steels.

Kwik Fit don't use windy guns anymore, they use a torque wrench.

Yes. But do they set it for each individual car? I've seen them just pick
one up and use it. If all cars were the same, a windy gun set to that
figure would be fine.

No,because the torque settings on the air guns are hopelessly
inaccurate, and as a result, I've seen far too many stretched studs.

If it were used correctly, I'd expect to see a handy chart giving the
torque settings for various models.

But those Kwik Fit fitters are so highly trained and experienced, they
have all the figures in their head, for every car ever made. They don't
need no stinking charts.

Or, if the bolts are the same size and thread, which most car wheel
bolts seem to be, they all need the same torque.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.