Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Locking wheel nut key lost

On 01/04/14 23:25, bert wrote:
In message , Bill
writes
In message , charles
writes
When my daughter's Skoda lost its key, the VW/Skoda garage in our
village simply took his complete set, found the one that fiited and
ordered that. We had it the next day.

When the local fitters broke the key for my Disco, I went to an indie
Landie dealer who identified and supplied the right one and made sure
they could undo the particular wheel nut..
The local tyre fitters then broke the new one, too, and couldn't get
the wheel off. I had to go back to the dealer, who replaced the
locking nuts with standard ones.

I've found that tyre fitters seem to totally ignore torque settings
which for a Land Rover with alloys is a lot less than steels.

Torque settings? Air impact driver on max more like!

Just Tyres used to make a thing of hand tightening nuts, but I stopped
using them since they boned me[1]

[1] Went in for a couple of specific tyres on their website. They fitted
and presented the bill which was rather a lot more than the website
price. I argued and he said "oh, you only get the webprice if you book
online".

So I told him if they wanted to play silly buggers with a vvery long
term customer (20 years), then well done because they'd just lost me. I
get my tyres fitted at the local garage now.