Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Repair my Emglo AM78-HV4V air compressor

On 2014-04-02, josh wrote:
replying to DoN. Nichols , josh wrote:
BPdnicholsBP wrote:

Looking at that (the downloaded PDF, not the reduced drawing
visible on the page) it does not appear to even *have* a centrifugal

[ ... ]

Thank you Don I didn't even see the detailed pdf. There are a total of 8
leads coming from the motor: a ground at motor, 2 leads to the capacitor,
2 to a overload switch, and 3 head to pressure switch. One of those in
pressure switch is ground.

O.K. Hard to tell from that whether there is a centrifugal
switch hiding inside the housing -- but they sure don't list parts for
one.

It is *possible* that this thing has a capacitor *run* motor
instead of a capacitor *start* motor, so there would be *no* centrifugal
switch. Look at the capacitor to see whether it has a full AC voltage
rating or just a DC one. The photo of it is too low contrast and too
small to read the ratings on the cap from here, but you have the actual
cap to look at.

The cap is 250v 60uf. Does that indicate it's a capacitor 'run' motor? I
(for whatever reason) thought there would be another cap inside the end
cover with the motor.

Hmm ... what HP for the motor? I think that may be closer to
the value for a run cap instead of a start cap, but I'm not sure. Did
the rating on the cap say 250 VDC or 250 VAC? If it is an AC rating,
then it is likely a run cap -- and more expensive (and larger) than the
typical motor start cap.

[ ... ]

There is also item 846, which is called a "repair kit", and
which appears to have a couple of screws, a nut and a washer, or perhaps
two sizes of nuts, and three wires (or are those wrinkles in the plastic
bag?)

Yeah, that's a great illustration ain't it! Not sure what those are.

:-)

It might also be possible (if enough wires go into the pressure
switch) that it closes all contacts and then releases some to take the
task of a centrifugal switch.

Whatever it is, it is a weird device.
And it looks as though it is rather noisy when it *is* working.
Good Luck,
Don.

How'd you know it was a noisy bugger?

Direct drive compressors Tend to be very noisy. And oil free,
too?

I prefer belt drive oil wetted compressors -- even the small
ones are relatively quiet. Still not silent, but less likely to make
you throw something through the ceiling when they start up. :-)

I guess I'll bite the bullet and
order the cap and see how it performs. Thanks again Don.

No spare caps around the house to test it with? I guess that
your house is not like mine. :-)

And no way to measure the capacitance of the cap? For a very
coarse way, take an ohmmeter and see how long it takes to get to a
certain reading when you reverse the probes. Compare it to a smaller
voltage capacitor of the same nominal capacitance to see whether you're
in the ballpark.

You're welcome.

Good Luck,
DoN.