Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
josh josh is offline

Default Repair my Emglo AM78-HV4V air compressor

replying to DoN. Nichols , josh wrote:
BPdnicholsBP wrote:

Looking at that (the downloaded PDF, not the reduced drawing
visible on the page) it does not appear to even *have* a centrifugal
switch. I see the cap (item 220, with associated mounting nut and
lockwasher), and the stator, with what *looks* like four leads coming
out, and no visible terminal block or anything of the sort, unless that
is part of the "end cover" (item 235).

Thank you Don I didn't even see the detailed pdf. There are a total of 8
leads coming from the motor: a ground at motor, 2 leads to the capacitor,
2 to a overload switch, and 3 head to pressure switch. One of those in
pressure switch is ground.

It is *possible* that this thing has a capacitor *run* motor
instead of a capacitor *start* motor, so there would be *no* centrifugal
switch. Look at the capacitor to see whether it has a full AC voltage
rating or just a DC one. The photo of it is too low contrast and too
small to read the ratings on the cap from here, but you have the actual
cap to look at.

The cap is 250v 60uf. Does that indicate it's a capacitor 'run' motor? I
(for whatever reason) thought there would be another cap inside the end
cover with the motor.

Is 236 (a nut) used to hold the end cover in place, or the fan?

Nut-236 corresponds with bolt-230 which sandwiches the motor with the
crankcase-221 and end cover.

There is also item 846, which is called a "repair kit", and
which appears to have a couple of screws, a nut and a washer, or perhaps
two sizes of nuts, and three wires (or are those wrinkles in the plastic
bag?)

Yeah, that's a great illustration ain't it! Not sure what those are.

It might also be possible (if enough wires go into the pressure
switch) that it closes all contacts and then releases some to take the
task of a centrifugal switch.

Whatever it is, it is a weird device.
And it looks as though it is rather noisy when it *is* working.
Good Luck,
Don.

How'd you know it was a noisy bugger? I guess I'll bite the bullet and
order the cap and see how it performs. Thanks again Don.
Josh

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...or-467755-.htm