Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default OT computers

wrote in message
Buy one of those plug in external USB hard drives, and back up all your
data . Then you can either buy a new hard drive for your existing
computer, or another computer. Once the operating system is installed
on the new HD or computer, you can copy your data back. However, your
programs will need to be re-installed. Do this soon, if your HD is
failing. Once it fails, you'll lose everything. You can buy those USB
drives online, at computer stores, or even Walmart. They are not that
costly.

How do you know your HD is failing anyhow?

Outlook Express has always sucked, but that's just my opinion.
Thunderbird is free and works well for email.

Yea, you can keep your monitor as well as printer, keyboard, mouse etc.

Depending on how much data is on the computer, one of the Thumb USB drives
may also work for less money.

I would not bet that the old keyboard and mouse can be used with a much
newer computer. More of the newer ones come with USB ports and his is
probably old enough to use the round connectors.

I just got in a computer BOX from ebay from $ 90 shipped . It has Win XP
Pro installed plus the COA on the box,a DVD RW 160 GB hard drive, 3 GB speed
and 1 GB of memory. Put in an order for 2 more DDR2 memory for about $ 12.
Had to go to the store to get a keyboard and mouse as the only spare ones I
had at home were the round plugs and that one needed the USB. I think that
computer was made in 2006 from the Dell site info.

I still like Outlook Express for the email I do.

---