Posted to alt.home.repair
Jax Jax is offline

Default OT computers

The Daring Dufas wrote in news:lhag8s
:

On 3/30/2014 5:54 PM, philo wrote:
On 03/30/14 05:41 pm, Jerry wrote:
My machine is old, 12 yrs to be exact. I do believe my hard
drive is dying. Wouldn't mind keeping my monitor, but would like
to increase memory, speed, etc. And, specifically would like all
my information put on the new system. I really like Outlook
Express, but have heard it is not available anymore.

In other words, I need some words of wisdom regarding what
information I should be looking for. And what should I steer
clear of?

As you can tell I really lack computer knowledge.

Trying to upgrade a 12-yr-old computer is not going to be
practical. The easiest thing you might be able to upgrade at all is
the amount of memory, but memory that fits a computer that old is
likely to be very expensive compared to newer-style memory.

snip

I build and repair computers.
A friend of mine wanted me to install 8 gigs of RAM in his older
machine. The motherboard did support it but it was DDR2.
8 gigs of RAM (good new) is over $200
I ordered a whole new mobo. CPU and 8 gigs of DDR3 for just under $200
A much better machine for a little less money...a no brainer!

That's because you're smarter than the average bear. ^_^

TDD

Huh?

--
Jax