Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default OT computers

On Monday, March 31, 2014 11:35:19 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Mon, 31 Mar 2014 19:17:14 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Mon, 31 Mar 2014 19:18:27 -0600, rbowman

wrote:

trader_4 wrote:

If the MB can handle the extra memory, there isn't an OS in the last

couple decades that won't make use of it.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-

us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Link broke.

Unless it is a 32bit x86 version.

Are you saying a RAM drive will not work - loaded on boot?

You can use it as a ram drive on some computers - but not as system

ram. Using the ram drive for VRam has advantages. It is no longer a

documented/supported feature in XP, but it can be done - see:

http://www.picobay.com/projects/2006...-for-free.html

I agree with Clare and Rbowman. A 32 bit OS can only use 4GB. This
thread has wandered all over and there was at least one poster advocating
that 512MB was enough. The OP didn't state how much memory he had. So
I was thinking in the context if he only has say 1GB, then adding more
memory and it will be used. But if it's already at 4GB, I agree that
adding more isn't going to help. A 12 year old MB may not have the
ability to have more than 4GB anyway.