Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default OT computers

trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, March 30, 2014 6:19:57 PM UTC-4, Bob_Villa wrote:
On Sunday, March 30, 2014 4:41:56 PM UTC-5, Jerry wrote:

My machine is old, 12 yrs to be exact. I do believe my hard drive is

dying. Wouldn't mind keeping my monitor, but would like to increase memory,

speed, etc. And, specifically would like all my information put on the new

system. I really like Outlook Express, but have heard it is not available

anymore.

In other words, I need some words of wisdom regarding what information I

should be looking for. And what should I steer clear of?

As you can tell I really lack computer knowledge.

thanks

If you're forced into Windows 8 install "Classic Shell", stay away from
HP/Compaq because of all the crapware. I have a free PC that I installed
Windows 7 (Dell 8400 3Ghz,3Gb,320GbHDD, basically ancient) and it runs
very well! And there's always Craigslist!

I have two HP systems, two to three years old and have no "crapware"
problems, issues, etc with either of them. They do come with some utilities,
and Norton, but nothing that's intrusive, full of ads, or anything like that.
I'm very happy with them, liked the HP website for configuration and would
buy from them again.

I bought a HP laptop with W7 about three years ago. I'm mostly afraid to
use it. HP has had so many bios updates and other updates. Just last week
it updated, and came up with a new desktop scheme, it was ok after I
rebooted. Last year I figured out a comcast virus software was screwing up
every shutdown, requiring windows fix each time. When I turn this machine
on, might as well get a cup of coffee before tryin to use it. I have not
updated windows since last year. At least I can use it some.

Greg