Walt & Jenne Ahlgrim

Default Adding LED RPM Meter to a Oneway Lathe

The some end bicycle computer have 2 sensor one for wheel a second for
the crank that reports its rams
Don't know how fast the cadence will go
http://www.lickbike.com/i3198100.htm
http://cateye.com/manuals/CD200%20v1_E.pdf

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 00:34:31 GMT, "Dan Bollinger"
wrote:

"Dan Bollinger" wrote in message
Steven, Using speedometers are going to be a hassle because of the
conversion problems of rpm to speed. Why not buy a tachometer instead?
I've seen 12VDC automotive digital tachs for $60 new in auto stores. Check
eBay for used items. Dan

"Steven D. Russell" wrote in message
. ..
Hello to the group,

I have a Oneway 2436-3 lathe in my studio and I would like to add an LED
meter to it to measure the exact spindle rpm's. Has anyone attempted

this
modification and if so, what parts are necessary? If the parts are hard

find, what stockist did you use to obtain these parts?

The Oneway has a speed indicator dial of course, but I would like to see

LED readout of the exact spindle rpm's. My studio work involves lots of

R&D
work and having the exact readout would be beneficial.

It would also be nice if I could somehow output the readings to a laptop

or
other recording device, which could measure the RPM's achieved or lost,

over
a given amount of time for specific procedures.

For example, when roughing a bowl what was the highest RPM used, the

average
RPM's over a given amount of time and the lowest RPM encountered? This

and
other information is what I need to track and record. Any ideas on how

achieve this would be most appreciated.

Another example... As many of you know I developed a low power technique

effectively use the Kelton Centre Saver on lathes with motors as small

as
3/4 HP. My technique involves "pulsing" the knife into and out of the
cutting zone rhythmically, to keep the RPM's high.

The ability to electronically record and verify the most efficient

protocol
(by monitoring the RPM output of the motor during the coring process)

for
this would be desirable.

I have heard of other turners who have made this modification to their
Oneway and other lathes, but I cannot find any sites on the web that

discuss
this modification. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance and

all
the best to you and yours!

Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

"Woodturning with Steven D. Russell" CD now available!
More than 93,000 words, and 500+ photos in 21 articles, email for

details.

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio
The Woodlands, Texas

Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for
the Woodturning and Woodworking Industries