Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default What is DeWalt/B&D radial arm saw worth?

On 3/26/2014 10:42 PM, Morgans wrote:

"-MIKE-" wrote

I should've been more clear. I see people using SCMS with a pulling
cut, just like a RAS. In that case, they are acting in the same way,
probably making the SCMS even more dangerous since it can climb towards
you and up.

--

I disagree with using a SCMS as a push cut. When you do that, the blade
is trying to lift the workpiece off of the bed, and bind it against the

You can disagree all you want, but that's how it's designed, and that's
how it should be used.

Climb cutting is always risky. Routers, tablesaws, radial arm saw.

Now how do you figure that you risk throwing the wood as it binds
against the fence???? if you have too much hook, it will lift the wood.
if you are not against the fence it will throw the wood.

if you put the wood against the fence and clamp it down, you will have a
good safe cut. even with a blade that has too much hook.

You don't have to clamp it, you can have the clamp prevent lifting by
just hovering above the wood.

Regardless, the saw is designed to be used w/o a climb cut.

--
Jeff