Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default What is DeWalt/B&D radial arm saw worth?

On 3/26/14, 10:11 AM, woodchucker wrote:
On 3/26/2014 11:06 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/25/14, 4:45 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
woodchucker wrote:

Not to me. I used one for years like you it was my only tool.
When I moved in here, I bought a used 10". I mounted a dado set
in it, and quickly found out why they are dangerous. Never had
it race toward me b4. but I could have lost fingers when it
did.

I've heard this before but I never understood it. If that were
possible, then it could only be so if your hands were in the
wrong place to start with, and not a fault of the saw. It seems
to me that most of the complaints about a RAS are reflective of
really bad user practice as opposed to inherent problems with the
saw - except for turning the saw for ripping.Then... I do believe
the saw has some inherant problems.

Very true. I see the same bad technique used with SCMS all the
time... even on those TV shows when in the hands of these purported
"experts."

A SCMS has the same obvious inherent problems but they are one of
the most popular tools made and used today.

Not true. With an SCMS you are pushing the blade against the
rotation.

When using a radial arm saw, you are climb cutting.

Funny I had no problems ripping or cross cutting. It was the dado
that made me realize the danger. I always had a healthy respect for
the RAS, since the blade was fully exposed. And it was the first time
the saw showed me how much power it had when it pushed right out to
me. The cut didn't seem to deep, but it bit and just ran right out.

It wasn't bad technique, it was part of the problem with climb
cutting.

I should've been more clear. I see people using SCMS with a pulling
cut, just like a RAS. In that case, they are acting in the same way,
probably making the SCMS even more dangerous since it can climb towards
you and up.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)