Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default What is DeWalt/B&D radial arm saw worth?

On 3/25/14, 4:45 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
woodchucker wrote:

Not to me. I used one for years like you it was my only tool. When
I moved in here, I bought a used 10". I mounted a dado set in it,
and quickly found out why they are dangerous. Never had it race
toward me b4. but I could have lost fingers when it did.

I've heard this before but I never understood it. If that were
possible, then it could only be so if your hands were in the wrong
place to start with, and not a fault of the saw. It seems to me that
most of the complaints about a RAS are reflective of really bad user
practice as opposed to inherent problems with the saw - except for
turning the saw for ripping.Then... I do believe the saw has some
inherant problems.

Very true. I see the same bad technique used with SCMS all the time...
even on those TV shows when in the hands of these purported "experts."

A SCMS has the same obvious inherent problems but they are one of the
most popular tools made and used today.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)