Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What is DeWalt/B&D radial arm saw worth?

woodchucker wrote:

Not to me. I used one for years like you it was my only tool. When
moved in here, I bought a used 10". I mounted a dado set in it, and
quickly found out why they are dangerous. Never had it race toward
me
b4. but I could have lost fingers when it did.

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

I've heard this before but I never understood it. If that were
possible, then it could only be so if your hands were in the wrong
place to start with, and not a fault of the saw. It seems to me
that most of the complaints about a RAS are reflective of really bad
user practice as opposed to inherent problems with the saw - except
for turning the saw for ripping.Then... I do believe the saw has
some inherant problems.

If you ever take a WMT (Wood Mfg Technology) class at Cerritos
Community College, you will find a single 16" RAS that has been around
for a few years.

The ONLY thing you are allowed to do with it is cross cut rough
stock to rough length.

Makes a lot of sense to me.

BTW, they replaced 8-9 Unisaw, General, PM66 table saws a
couple of years ago.

Lew