Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default how much load can arched tubing carry,(2"x6"1/8" wall) in an arch60'wide x 20'

On Sunday, March 23, 2014 12:18:02 PM UTC-4, Joe Farmer wrote:

Sorry , I didn't give the right amount of load. The load is 600 pounds in

30 feet. The building roof I'm trying to support is made by

AmericanSteelSpan. What I'm supporting is a conveyer for grain , being set

on top of the roof. The roof is designed to support 37# /foot snow load. I

don't want to steal from that in case I have alot of snow sometime. I hope

I'm not confusing things , but what I'm supporting is the CONVEYER on top

of the roof. I mentioned the conveyer weighs 600 # and is 30 feet long. It

is actually 60 feet long and 1200 #, but I was planning on putting up 2 of

the arches of 2"x6"x1/8" wall arches directly underneath the roof.

You need to add the weight of the grain on the conveyor to get the total weight.

I would contact AmericanSteelSpan and see if they have any suggestions. They might have run into this same situation before. I am not a mechanical engineer, but I would think that adding to the building supports would be the best solution. Maybe AmericanSteelSpan has a way to increase the buildings snow load capability.

Dan