Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default how much load can arched tubing carry,(2"x6"1/8" wall) in an arch 60'wide x 20'

On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 16:19:03 +0000, Joe Farmer
wrote:

replying to , Joe Farmer wrote:
dcaster wrote:

I am confused. How many arches are you planning on having? One, two, or

many?
Two thoughts: One is can you support it by the roof and when it snows ,

lower it to the ground. The second is that it would take less steel if you
figured out how to beef up the roof.
Dan

the load actually is 1200# in 60 feet. I was planning on using 2 of the
arches made of the 2x6 material. I thought if I could out how much weight
the 2x6 material would support, then I could figure out if two were
enough. I may have to switch material? The conveyer on the roof cannot be
lowered in the winter. I need it's use year around. The conveyor will be
bolted to the roof. Again if I could find out how much weight the tubing
in that arch could support , it could help alot.

Greetings Joe,
It depends on which way the 2 x 6 tubing is loaded. If the tubing is
loaded on the 2 inch wide direction it will be 27 times stiffer that
putting the load across the 6 inch dimension. Which way are you going
to use and how much deflection can you tolerate?
Eric

---