Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default how much load can arched tubing carry,(2"x6"1/8" wall) in an arch 60'wide x 20'

On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 17:18:02 +0000, Joe
wrote:

The width is 60 feet and the height is 20 feet in the center .. The load
will be spanned 2 feet in the top center of the arch. If tube is not bent
, it can be welded every 10 feet of the arch and a piece of flat strap
welded to butt welded joint to strengthen to joint. We are actually trying
to support something 2 feet wide by 30 feet long weighing 1300 pounds. The
arched tubing will be fastened to a roof above which will not allow it to
shift. I want to support the 1300 pound weight sitting on the arched steel
roof above. The arched steel roof already exists, I just want to add
arched steel support underneath. I do not want to use any of existing roof
to support weight because I want to maintain prior engineered snow loads.
I can bolt into roof to reduce shifting The roof is 18 gauge steel, int
the shape of described arch. The base if the new support arch of 2"x6" ?
Square tubing can be anchored in to cement at ends by use of steel plating
and anchor bolts.

You say the load is 30 feet long, supported every two feet. So, if the
load is uniform, it will be supported in 15 or 16 places. If we assume
15 places then each arch of the building will need to support 86.67
pounds. My steel arch building, which I think is similar to yours, is
rated for 70 pounds per square foot snow load. However, your building
is twice as wide as mine and two feet taller. What is you building
rated for? Do you get that much snow? Since I never get more than 8
inches of wet snow I would not hesitate to put that type of load on my
building if I needed to.
ERS

---