Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johny B Good[_2_] Johny B Good[_2_] is offline

Default Best way to repair a galvanised watering can?

On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 12:30:23 -0700 (PDT), Onetap
wrote:

On Monday, March 17, 2014 5:35:40 PM UTC, Onetap wrote:
On Sunday, March 16, 2014 2:52:04 PM UTC, MM wrote:

It's leaking around the spout where it joins to the can. I don't think

it's possible to solder a galvanised can, or is there some approach I

could take? I don't have access to brazing gear. New cans are quite

expensive and this can is fine, apart from the leak.

It's knackered, bin it, buy a plastic one.

The zinc galvanizing is a sacrificial anode; it inhibits the corrosion of the steel until all the zinc has gone. Once the zinc has gone, it's knackered and will perforate repeatedly.

It's knackered. Bin it.

That little 'exchange' just put me in mind of the very first episode
of Red Dwarf for some reason. :-)
--
Regards, J B Good