Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

Default NE-2 I-V Curve ??

On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 07:14:10 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 00:30:11 -0500, John Fields
wrote:

On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 16:41:09 -0700, John Larkin
wrote:

On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 14:03:49 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 13:34:40 -0700, John Larkin
wrote:

On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 10:39:38 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Anyone have an accurate I-V curve for an NE-2 neon indicator lamp?

(I think it's time I applied TANH to it ;-)

...Jim Thompson

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Tubes/Neon.PDF

LT Spice already has neonbulb as a component.

As do I, recently posted here. But I'm on a "crusade" to make Spice
models that don't have convergence issues.

What are the topmost complaints we see here about Spice models?

(1) Doesn't match the behavior of the real part
(2) Won't converge, or very slow simulating.

I aim to change that, and make some money from model-making, while I'm
at it.

...Jim Thompson

So, who's going to pay you big bucks for a better model of an NE-2?

---
As part of a nice, inexpensive library of well-thought-out and
executed parts, I suspect the big bucks would result from the volume
of sales of those libraries.

Your mindset of selling a few expensive niche products probably
keeps you from seeing that, and is what'll keep you out of the big
time.

Well-executed parts, like the simple NE-2, or a 4046 that really
works, are simply advertising "teasers" to elicit requests to model
nasty systems, or modeling an OpAmp to match the real world.

...Jim Thompson

Modeling an NE-2 sounds like negative advertising.

People like Modelithics have tons of serious frequency and time-domain (I know!)
equipment, and measure the hell out of parts before they make and verify their
models. If you really want to model an NE-2, you might consider actually
experimenting with some.

I was just talking with a local university. They have an Agilent
temperature-controlled probe station for measuring bare ICs and small packaged
parts, to close the loop on fab and modeling. They don't have the capacitance
module, so I think we'll buy one for them, in return for having students
occasionally characterize microwave parts (diodes, transistors, MMICS) for us
for time domain apps. We might meet kids who could wind up being interns and
maybe employees.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com