Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Default NE-2 I-V Curve ??

Anyone have an accurate I-V curve for an NE-2 neon indicator lamp?

(I think it's time I applied TANH to it ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On 3/16/2014 1:39 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Anyone have an accurate I-V curve for an NE-2 neon indicator lamp?

(I think it's time I applied TANH to it ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Of course tanh is single-valued, unlike the I-V of a NE2.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 13:59:29 -0400, Phil Hobbs
wrote:

On 3/16/2014 1:39 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Anyone have an accurate I-V curve for an NE-2 neon indicator lamp?

(I think it's time I applied TANH to it ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Of course tanh is single-valued, unlike the I-V of a NE2.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Unless you are clever, like me :-}

Look back over my piece-wise-linear curve-fitting posts, using TANH,
with all derivatives existing and finite.

In this particular case, as I envision it, there are not even any
break-points involved.

What I seek right now is a reasonably accurate I-V curve.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default NE-2 I-V Curve ?? - Neon discharge0001.pdf

On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 10:39:38 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Anyone have an accurate I-V curve for an NE-2 neon indicator lamp?

(I think it's time I applied TANH to it ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Neon discharge0001.pdf (269.2 KB, 146 views)

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Anyone have an accurate I-V curve for an NE-2 neon indicator lamp?

(I think it's time I applied TANH to it ;-)

...Jim Thompson

---

Thanks, John, that looks like a good starting point. Thinking TANH
:-}, I think I can write a generalized equation where all you need to

do is specify the peak and valley currents and voltages and one (or
maybe 2) I,V points out on the "tail", though my gut feel is that the
tail slope should intercept 0,0 until you start to smoke it.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Anyone have an accurate I-V curve for an NE-2 neon indicator lamp?

(I think it's time I applied TANH to it ;-)

...Jim Thompson

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Tubes/Neon.PDF

LT Spice already has neonbulb as a component.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Anyone have an accurate I-V curve for an NE-2 neon indicator lamp?

(I think it's time I applied TANH to it ;-)

...Jim Thompson

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Tubes/Neon.PDF

LT Spice already has neonbulb as a component.

---
Geez...

I guess that makes real-world empirical data invalid, huh?

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Anyone have an accurate I-V curve for an NE-2 neon indicator lamp?

(I think it's time I applied TANH to it ;-)

...Jim Thompson

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Tubes/Neon.PDF

LT Spice already has neonbulb as a component.

As do I, recently posted here. But I'm on a "crusade" to make Spice
models that don't have convergence issues.

What are the topmost complaints we see here about Spice models?

(1) Doesn't match the behavior of the real part
(2) Won't converge, or very slow simulating.

I aim to change that, and make some money from model-making, while I'm
at it.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Anyone have an accurate I-V curve for an NE-2 neon indicator lamp?

(I think it's time I applied TANH to it ;-)

...Jim Thompson

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Tubes/Neon.PDF

LT Spice already has neonbulb as a component.

---
Geez...

I guess that makes real-world empirical data invalid, huh?

Hey! Don't you know, his highness has proclaimed, "Math and
simulation are both crutches"?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

In article , Jim Thompson
wrote:

Anyone have an accurate I-V curve for an NE-2 neon indicator lamp?

(I think it's time I applied TANH to it ;-)

Accurate I-V curve? There is no such thing, actually, except possibly
under lab conditions. To design reliable circuits, you need a handful
of parameters, and the curves are useful only for the general pattern
of response. Gaseous conduction devices are not at all like
semiconductors in the details, although thyratrons are similar to
thyristors.

First is breakdown voltage. This is measured in the dark, but is
lowered by UV (sunlight, fluorescent lamps, ...) If I recall, it's
around 70 volts.

Before breakdown, impedance is essentially infinite. After breakdown,
voltage drops to a fraction of the breakdown voltage. The higher the
current the lower the voltage.

There is a current below which the glow will extinguish. One must
remain below this current for a finite time, so all the ions have
decayed or wandered away, before reapplying voltage.

There is a lot of information available:

...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neon_lamp

The standard text on the physics was "Gaseous Conductors - Theory and
engineering Applications", 1941, by James Dillon Cobine. This book was
available from Dover for many years.

Cobine, James Dillon, Gaseous Conductors: Theory and Engineering
Applications, Dover Publications, New York, 1958. paperback, xx+600 pp,
5 3/8x8.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 17:25:05 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Jim Thompson
wrote:

[...]

http://www.neazoi.com/technology/logic/GE-lamps.pdf

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Anyone have an accurate I-V curve for an NE-2 neon indicator lamp?

(I think it's time I applied TANH to it ;-)

...Jim Thompson

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Tubes/Neon.PDF

LT Spice already has neonbulb as a component.

---
Geez...

I guess that makes real-world empirical data invalid, huh?

Hey! Don't you know, his highness has proclaimed, "Math and
simulation are both crutches"?

...Jim Thompson

---
Yup, but that's when anyone else is "crippled".

When he is, though, he paint wings on those crutches.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Anyone have an accurate I-V curve for an NE-2 neon indicator lamp?

(I think it's time I applied TANH to it ;-)

...Jim Thompson

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Tubes/Neon.PDF

LT Spice already has neonbulb as a component.

---
Geez...

I guess that makes real-world empirical data invalid, huh?

Hey! Don't you know, his highness has proclaimed, "Math and
simulation are both crutches"?

...Jim Thompson

---
Yup, but that's when anyone else is "crippled".

When he is, though, he paint wings on those crutches.

:-}

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 17:25:05 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Jim Thompson
wrote:

Anyone have an accurate I-V curve for an NE-2 neon indicator lamp?

(I think it's time I applied TANH to it ;-)

Accurate I-V curve? There is no such thing, actually, except possibly
under lab conditions.

That's what I need right now... get the core model right, then
embellish with ambient light, etc.

(I'm very aware of ambient light issues... once turned off my monster
tube amplifier while I went on vacation. It was located in a dark
attic... and utilized OA2's for regulating various grid potentials.
When I returned and powered it up... KABOOM... electrolytic gunk
everywhere :-D

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Anyone have an accurate I-V curve for an NE-2 neon indicator lamp?

(I think it's time I applied TANH to it ;-)

...Jim Thompson

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Tubes/Neon.PDF

LT Spice already has neonbulb as a component.

As do I, recently posted here. But I'm on a "crusade" to make Spice
models that don't have convergence issues.

What are the topmost complaints we see here about Spice models?

(1) Doesn't match the behavior of the real part
(2) Won't converge, or very slow simulating.

I aim to change that, and make some money from model-making, while I'm
at it.

...Jim Thompson

So, who's going to pay you big bucks for a better model of an NE-2?

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

Neons are famously erratic. Local electric fields, ambient light, radiation will
change the striking voltage. And they sputter away their own gas over time,
eventually failing.

If you build an RC relaxation oscillator with two neons in parallel, small
changes in the mentioned parameters will shift the discharge from one lamp to
another.

LEDs are better behaved.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Anyone have an accurate I-V curve for an NE-2 neon indicator lamp?

(I think it's time I applied TANH to it ;-)

...Jim Thompson

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Tubes/Neon.PDF

LT Spice already has neonbulb as a component.

---
Geez...

I guess that makes real-world empirical data invalid, huh?

Hey! Don't you know, his highness has proclaimed, "Math and
simulation are both crutches"?

...Jim Thompson

It's true. You get into all sorts of trouble simulating stuff that you don't
understand. And I do mean *you*.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Anyone have an accurate I-V curve for an NE-2 neon indicator lamp?

(I think it's time I applied TANH to it ;-)

...Jim Thompson

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Tubes/Neon.PDF

LT Spice already has neonbulb as a component.

---
Geez...

I guess that makes real-world empirical data invalid, huh?

It does kind of reduce the incentive to write another NE_2 Spice model. Unless,
maybe, business is very, very slow.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Anyone have an accurate I-V curve for an NE-2 neon indicator lamp?

(I think it's time I applied TANH to it ;-)

...Jim Thompson

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Tubes/Neon.PDF

LT Spice already has neonbulb as a component.

---
Geez...

I guess that makes real-world empirical data invalid, huh?

It does kind of reduce the incentive to write another NE-2 Spice model. Unless,
maybe, business is very, very slow.

Has nothing to do with business... this is my play period... amusing
myself solving math problems for which you would not have a clue :-}

You amuse yourself by being an asshole.

I amuse myself with finding interesting solutions to math and
engineering and simulation issues.

Someday I will be remembered. You? Bwahahahahaha hah!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Anyone have an accurate I-V curve for an NE-2 neon indicator lamp?

(I think it's time I applied TANH to it ;-)

...Jim Thompson

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Tubes/Neon.PDF

LT Spice already has neonbulb as a component.

---
Geez...

I guess that makes real-world empirical data invalid, huh?

It does kind of reduce the incentive to write another NE-2 Spice model. Unless,
maybe, business is very, very slow.

Has nothing to do with business... this is my play period... amusing
myself solving math problems for which you would not have a clue :-}

You amuse yourself by being an asshole.

I amuse myself with finding interesting solutions to math and
engineering and simulation issues.

Someday I will be remembered. You? Bwahahahahaha hah!

...Jim Thompson

I have a next generation coming along to run my company. You?

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

I not only have "next", but "next-next" in the hopper.

The difference is my "next" or "next-next" will be an academic...
yours will be a turd :-}

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

You're going to trust your retirement income, and your technical legacy, to an
academic? That should be interesting.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Anyone have an accurate I-V curve for an NE-2 neon indicator lamp?

(I think it's time I applied TANH to it ;-)

...Jim Thompson

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Tubes/Neon.PDF

LT Spice already has neonbulb as a component.

As do I, recently posted here. But I'm on a "crusade" to make Spice
models that don't have convergence issues.

What are the topmost complaints we see here about Spice models?

(1) Doesn't match the behavior of the real part
(2) Won't converge, or very slow simulating.

I aim to change that, and make some money from model-making, while I'm
at it.

...Jim Thompson

So, who's going to pay you big bucks for a better model of an NE-2?

---
As part of a nice, inexpensive library of well-thought-out and
executed parts, I suspect the big bucks would result from the volume
of sales of those libraries.

Your mindset of selling a few expensive niche products probably
keeps you from seeing that, and is what'll keep you out of the big
time.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Anyone have an accurate I-V curve for an NE-2 neon indicator lamp?

(I think it's time I applied TANH to it ;-)

...Jim Thompson

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Tubes/Neon.PDF

LT Spice already has neonbulb as a component.

---
Geez...

I guess that makes real-world empirical data invalid, huh?

It does kind of reduce the incentive to write another NE_2 Spice model. Unless,
maybe, business is very, very slow.

---
The only reason you'd say that is because writing a model is beyond
your ken and you pooh-pooh the effort in an attempt to make
achieving the goal seem less than worthwhile instead of
unattainable.

JF
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Anyone have an accurate I-V curve for an NE-2 neon indicator lamp?

(I think it's time I applied TANH to it ;-)

...Jim Thompson

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Tubes/Neon.PDF

LT Spice already has neonbulb as a component.

---
Geez...

I guess that makes real-world empirical data invalid, huh?

It does kind of reduce the incentive to write another NE_2 Spice model. Unless,
maybe, business is very, very slow.

---
The only reason you'd say that is because writing a model is beyond
your ken and you pooh-pooh the effort in an attempt to make
achieving the goal seem less than worthwhile instead of
unattainable.

JF

I can write Spice models, but I don't as often as Jim does. As someone here has
profoundly said, design is the opposite of analysis.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

Some people, like Modelithics, are in the serious model-selling business. Email
them and see if they have an NE-2 model.

Your mindset of selling a few expensive niche products probably
keeps you from seeing that, and is what'll keep you out of the big
time.

I'm in the big time. Look at my web site.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

Well-executed parts, like the simple NE-2, or a 4046 that really
works, are simply advertising "teasers" to elicit requests to model
nasty systems, or modeling an OpAmp to match the real world.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

What would that prove?
---

Your mindset of selling a few expensive niche products probably
keeps you from seeing that, and is what'll keep you out of the big
time.

I'm in the big time. Look at my web site.

---
Your web site proves nothing.

Agilent is big time, Tektronix is big time, TI is big time.

You're in there somewhere, but rather closer to the bottom than to
the middle.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

Modeling an NE-2 sounds like negative advertising.

People like Modelithics have tons of serious frequency and time-domain (I know!)
equipment, and measure the hell out of parts before they make and verify their
models. If you really want to model an NE-2, you might consider actually
experimenting with some.

I was just talking with a local university. They have an Agilent
temperature-controlled probe station for measuring bare ICs and small packaged
parts, to close the loop on fab and modeling. They don't have the capacitance
module, so I think we'll buy one for them, in return for having students
occasionally characterize microwave parts (diodes, transistors, MMICS) for us
for time domain apps. We might meet kids who could wind up being interns and
maybe employees.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

On 3/16/2014 1:39 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Anyone have an accurate I-V curve for an NE-2 neon indicator lamp?

(I think it's time I applied TANH to it ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Of course tanh is single-valued, unlike the I-V of a NE2.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Unless you are clever, like me :-}

Look back over my piece-wise-linear curve-fitting posts, using TANH,
with all derivatives existing and finite.

In this particular case, as I envision it, there are not even any
break-points involved.

What I seek right now is a reasonably accurate I-V curve.

I can't tell if you're being purposely coy, or if you've missed Phil's
point.

Gas discharge devices like neon lamps have hysteresis: when they're on,
they'll conduct at a lower voltage than their turn-on voltage.

So a simple I-V curve doesn't cut it, unless you're only trying to
simulate the device in the on state, and leaving the user out to dry for
figuring out turn-on and turn-off behavior.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

He's just told you how clever he is.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

If you can model the off-state and on-state behaviour, then at speeds
slow compared with the recombination time, you can get by with a 1-bit
memory telling you which model to use. It's easy to patch that up with
a tanh or the equivalent to make the switch soft.

LTspice does that for you if you specify a negative hysteresis voltage.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

Wrong. You can write a monotonic equation where the variable is
current (I) and the output is voltage (V).

Watch this space :-}

...Jim Thompson