Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Delta DJ-20 question

On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 17:29:33 -0400, woodchucker
wrote:

On 3/16/2014 5:10 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 16:33:54 -0400, Bill
wrote:

woodchucker wrote:
On 3/16/2014 3:28 AM, Bill wrote:
Bill wrote:
Bill wrote:
When I look at used 8" Delta DJ-20 jointers,

Bill

If you were looking for new one of these, you might get the impression
they aren't going to make them anymore! At least, they seem scarce!

Bill

"Delta Machinery" was evidently bought by Chang Type (of Taiwan).

This from their web site, to let you know the Delta name is in good
hands! %-)

The continuous orders from its customers push the business growing.
Through our OEM/ODM brands, such as Ryobi (the fastest growing brand
globally), Craftsman (exclusive brand in Sears ), Black & Decker (Global
No. 1 power tools manufacturer) and Dewalt (Top tier of Black & Decker
power tools), the products are sold in the major retailing channels,
such as Sears, Home Depot and Lowe’s. We have also expanded our capacity
to Ho Li new Plant to meet the future demands from our valuable
customers.
Yes Bill we all new that.

I knew about "Stanley, Black and Decker", but I didn't know Delta was
part of the same mix. It helps explain why certain tools have disappeared.
I guess that means Porter-Cable is part of the same mix. Delta was like
the sacred cow (to me). Sorry for my not keeping up.

Most Porter-Cable is junk now, too. Some of their old-tech stuff is
still alright. The PC-691 is still a nice router. There are better
but I still like its "D" handle.

Yeah, Delta is in there, too. However I bought the Delta 18-900L a
couple of years ago and am very happy with it. It's a very nice
woodworking drill press.
http://www.deltamachinery.com/products/drilling-boring-machines/item/18-900l

Yea that's a real nice drill press. 6" quill travel, and the depth stops
working both sides of the shaft to hold it down for sanding or millling
work is nice.

The 6" travel and low RPM ranges are what eventually sold me (I was
about to pull the trigger on a PowerMatic PM2800(?) but it only went
to 400RPM).

The trunion table is cool.

It is a nice looking unit.. Especially down to 170 rpm..
But what is that big box on the motor?? Where they stuck the capacitors.

Yes, and a circuit breaker.