Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Best way to repair a galvanised watering can?

On 16/03/2014 15:21, John Williamson wrote:
On 16/03/2014 14:52, MM wrote:
It's leaking around the spout where it joins to the can. I don't think
it's possible to solder a galvanised can, or is there some approach I
could take? I don't have access to brazing gear. New cans are quite
expensive and this can is fine, apart from the leak.

Wire brush back to the steel, and solder it that way? The mian problem,
though, is that if the leak is due to corrosion, getting back to good
steel is likely to leave a large hole, which is going to be "fun" to
patch if all you have is normal soldering gear. You'll probably need to
use a blowtorch to get the metal hot enough to activate the flux and
melt the solder, too.

You don't need anything too drastic on the blowlamp line to braze,
though. I've seen it done it with a standard butane torch before now,
and the flux and rods are obtainable from any welding supplier.

It should solder OK as described by John but you may need an active
(acidic) flux rather than normal rosin-based soldering flux. This one
might be OK

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIGH-PURIT...item35d30a2ba3

If the joint has a big hole you could wrap copper wire around it (e.g.
stripped from T&E) to help bridge the gap.

A gas-torch may be useful to achieve the required temperature unless you
have a BIG soldering iron.

Or for a less elegant solution, use "plumbers" epoxy.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plumbers-M...item1c33e25206

(not what *I* would have called Plumbers Mait)