Posted to rec.woodworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Solar Kiln

On Monday, March 10, 2014 12:59:54 PM UTC-7, Michael wrote:
I'm going to make an insulated solar kiln to dry out 6 -8 foot stock. Any advice. It's just going to be an insulated box with repurposed house windows tilted at 45 degrees (Wisconsin) and a small fan to circulate air. Any important things I need to keep in mind?

Well, yeah: you need to figure a way to block the sunlight if it gets too hot, and stop the
venting when the moisture level is 'right'.
Kiln drying is done by a prescription of time/temperature/humidity, and getting it done
RIGHT is harder than getting it done.

You might want to read all of the USDA _Wood_Handbook_
but especially chapter 13
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr190/chapter_13.pdf