Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Delta DJ-20 question

On 3/12/2014 4:03 PM, Bill wrote:
John Grossbohlin wrote:
snip
I'd be inclined to get the Delta if it's in good shape and looks good.

John

Thank you for the "review" John! I know I just missed my chance on a
very nice-looking DJ-20. I wasn't ready to plunk down $1000 though. I
have enough to keep me busy while I keep looking (including a vintage #8
hand plane, and two #7s, a #6, ... -- almost the whole set (no #3))

I'd certainly not restrict my looking to the DJ series, either. Unless
they've seen 50 yr of service in a commercial shop where they tables
were cranked a zillion times a day ever day, the chances of the bed ways
being worn enough you'll ever know it is near zero on a traditional
Delta or PM and even if they are a little loose there are takeup gibs to
compensate.

While the parallelogram design is nice, lacking it is certainly not a
show-stopper imo.

As another said, look for the longest bed you can find and have room for
and wider is always better. (I covet the old Crescent 20" had access to
in Lynchburg... )