Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bolts and vibes and red loctite

On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 12:01:18 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 09:44:43 -0700, wrote:

On Sun, 9 Mar 2014 22:41:14 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

OK , so here's what I got . I have an older 18" Poulan Wild Thing chainsaw
. It has an angle plate between the carb and cylinder , it's apparent
purpose is to angle the carb up slightly . Problem area is where the plate
bolts to the cylinder . I can't keep the damn screws tight , and when they
loosen the saw just doesn't run because it's a massive vacuum leak . I've
tried red loctite , tried dry , and they just keep getting loose . Carb to
plate screws are fine , no problems there .
Fortunately I have 2 other FREE ! saws , so I can still cut firewood ,
but I'd like to get this one reliable , as it has the longest bar . Cuttin'
fool when it runs right , as are the others since I learned how to sharpen
chains . Very important tool if you heat with wood !

I'm surprised that you are having the screws come loose even though
you are using Loctite. I have never had a bolt or screw loosen when
using Loctite properly. Are you sure that the screw and tapped hole
were totally free from any oil? The regular red Loctite will withstand
400 degrees F without loosening and I would be surprised if that area
of the cylinder gets that hot. But it may indeed get that hot. I have
used locking Heli-Coil inserts where Loctite was not appropriate. They
will not let the screw come loose from vibration, in my experience.

Eric, you're used to straight screw on flat surfaces. This is a case
of a screw head contacting an angled surface. Ideally, they should
have counterbored the carb flange at a flat angle to the head, but it
sounds as if they didn't.

So why not counter bore at the proper angle? Doesnt need to be very
deep.

Gunner

--

"
I was once told by a “gun safety” advocate back in the Nineties

I began to give him a reasoned answer and he
cut me off with an abrupt, “Give me the short answer.”

I thought for a moment and said, “If you try to take our firearms we will kill you.”"

---