Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Solar Kiln

On 3/10/2014 7:21 PM, Michael wrote:
On Monday, March 10, 2014 6:10:03 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
On Monday, March 10, 2014 5:33:47 PM UTC-5, Michael wrote:

That's good advice about the wasps, especially around here. Why 30 degrees? This guy lives in Wisconsin and says 45 degrees. I'll do whatever works best. Thanks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTsDhCrE56U

I didn't have the benefit of the video, so I assumed a small box-like unit, not a shed-like (larger greenhouse) unit. I was assuming you were to kiln dry small amounts (500 max bd ft) of lumber, not a bundle or two or three, as that video unit can accommodate.

I was thinking the small box-like unit would be tilted up, at one end, 30 degrees, not the windows. I was thinking vents on each upper end, as with a greenhouse.

I did assume the windows (sashes only?) would be facing south and tilted at 45 degrees, that would be installed on the box-like unit, which would be tilted at 30 degrees.

I was guessing at a size and design that may not require a fan for air movement.

Sonny

He makes the claim that kiln dried wood is available faster (yes) but better quality? Not sure about that, but if this kiln can get the wood to 6-8 percent instead of the 12-14 that you get with air drying, then that's a big win.

You know, it's funny but a hundred years ago wood was air dried.
1 thousand years ago it was air dried.

Now we have heat in our homes... it dries out.
The guy says it continues to shrink in our homes, therefore it's less
than 12%..

Air dry it, acclimate it in your shop and you are good to go.
Most wood stays in my rack a year or 2 before use. Except when I buy
kiln dried then its a week or 2...
I even get 2x4's to stabilize. I clamp them down on the rack so they
finish drying b4 use, it doesn't always prevent a small twist, but it's
better than taking it and using it immediately. I use 2x4's for utility
grade stuff.

My tiger maple, walnut, cedar, ash, beech and cherry are all air dried.

Once you bring them in to finish drying you get down to 6-8% in the
winter. Higher in the summer.

I have 2 meters a cheapy that I bring to the lumber mills, or local
guys. And a lingnomat for final checking. Both agree on my final within
a point or 2 so I am confident that I am not speaking out my Ass...

If you do steam bending I was told you don't want kiln dried wood.. Not
sure why and not sure if its true.

--
Jeff