Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael[_24_] Michael[_24_] is offline

Default Solar Kiln

On Monday, March 10, 2014 4:00:10 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
On Monday, March 10, 2014 2:59:54 PM UTC-5, Michael wrote:

I'm going to make an insulated solar kiln to dry out 6 -8 foot stock. Any advice. It's just going to be an insulated box with repurposed house windows tilted at 45 degrees (Wisconsin) and a small fan to circulate air. Any important things I need to keep in mind? Thanks.

Might not need a fan to circulate the air. Tilt the kiln about 30 degrees, make a small vent at the upper end and the warmer air should rise to and out the vent. Screen the vents to keep any bugs, especially wasps, out.

Sonny

That's good advice about the wasps, especially around here. Why 30 degrees? This guy lives in Wisconsin and says 45 degrees. I'll do whatever works best. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTsDhCrE56U